Delivering More. All Day. Every Day.
The next generation of Cat® articulated trucks—the 735B, 740B and 740B EJ—are built to deliver more. More versatility. More cycles. More profit. They’re loaded with new features and enhancements that maximise your jobsite productivity:
- True, proportional, fully Automatic Traction Control (ATC) improves ease of operation
- Proven suspension system provides unparalleled ride quality
- Improved transmission control enhances fuel economy and reduces cycle times
- Innovative cab enhancements improve operator environment
Customers Wanted More. We Delivered.
Caterpillar was aggressive in gathering customer input before we began designing the next generation of Cat articulated trucks. We realised there was a real opportunity to build on the solid foundation of the 700 Family models, while still taking a fresh view for the new models. Overall, customer input affected our design for the B Series for the better—inside and out.
When you’re hauling heavy payloads up steep grades and over wet, slippery ground, you need a truck that won’t lose traction. Caterpillar’s unique Automatic Traction Control (ATC) system as standard on the B Series trucks provides fully automatic control of the inter-axle and cross-axle differential locks. The new system:
- Eliminates operator interaction, including the manual switches on the floor and dash
- Monitors both machine and wheel speeds. If wheel spin is detected, the system instantly adjusts each wheel to optimise traction.
- Reduces tire and driveline abuse caused by improper manual operation
- Increases productivity and reduces cycle times
The B Series has upgraded its transmission to incorporate Electronic Clutch Pressure Control (ECPC). The ECPC transmission features shift torque management as well as improved shift control logic with part throttle shifting. Together, these technologies ensure transmission shifts on B Series articulated trucks are:
- Smoother while maintaining torque throughout each gear change
- Quicker because the optimal gear is selected for maximum acceleration and downshifts occur promptly when needed
- Faster, especially on grades
More Cab Comfort and Safety
The B Series operator station delivers new levels of comfort and ease of use. Incorporating these new features makes the operation of the truck safer and easier.
- Floor-mounted throttle pedal replaces the suspended pedal design for reduced operator fatigue and greater machine control
- Operator's seat offers new levels of adjustment, increasing operator comfort
- Colour Multi-Purpose Display offers a menu-driven monitoring system and doubles as the rearview camera display
- Panel containing switches for the electric mirrors, high-intensity discharge (HID) work lights and manual regeneration are easily accessed on the front headliner
- Grab handles for the operator and passenger improve personal stability while traveling over tough terrain
Reliable, Powerful Engine
The new B Series articulated trucks are powered by C15 ACERT™ technology engines. The engines boast greater net power and maximum torque.
- Emissions-compliant engines updated to meet Tier 4 Interim/Stage IIIB regulations
- Net power output of 447 hp/333 kW for the 735B and 484 hp/361 kW for the 740B and 740B EJ
- Redesigned turbocharger provides more consistent boost pressure over a wide range of engine operating speeds
To maintain high productivity, B Series articulated trucks feature an engine exhaust aftertreatment automatic regeneration system. When in automatic mode, there’s no need for your operators to stop working to regenerate the engine. That means you can keep running loads for greater jobsite productivity—and profitability. There are also “idle” and “manual override” modes that enable the operator to adapt the regeneration process to meet the needs of the specific jobsite.
More Safety Features
B Series trucks are loaded with new features that enhance operator and worksite safety and increase productivity.
- Cab interior operator and passenger grab handles
- Customisable information display screen incorporating the rearview camera display
- Improved lighting, including optional high-level, high-intensity lights
- External cab grab rail for easier window cleaning
More Ways to Be Productive: 740B Ejector Model
Only Caterpillar offers an articulated truck with a factory-installed material ejection system. The 740B EJ is a highly productive machine perfect for many applications.
- Ejects material “on-the-go” to achieve faster cycle times
- Eliminates the body hoist feature, reducing the risk of machine turnover
- Operates in height-restricted areas where a traditional tipper cannot
- Remains highly stable at speed while spreading a load
- Saves money by eliminating the need for additional spreading equipment
- Ensures jobsite versatility by ejecting on side slopes, grades and statically in the same manner as a traditional tipper